Stamp 4 in Ireland: Permission to Remain

When visiting Ireland for more than 90 days, you must apply to the Immigration Service Delivery for permission to remain in the country. Endorsed by An Garda Síochána, you will be provided with an entry stamp on your passport which will determine the type of permission granted as well as what you can and can’t do while you’re in Ireland.


Typically, the most popular type of stamp given – which is also placed on your Irish Residence Permit – is Stamp 4 Permission to Remain. This is known as temporary immigration permission and allows you to stay in Ireland until a certain date. After this date, you must seek to renew the permission stamp if you wish to remain in Ireland. However, authorities will only renew the stamp if the terms of the permission have been met and the laws obeyed.


With Stamp 4, you’re allowed to work for someone, can be self-employed, can set up a business, and study. Plus, there are plenty more benefits. Here, we explain the other stamps available and highlight Stamp 4 in more detail.


What are Entry Stamps?

In total, there are actually 10 different stamps used, rather than the more well-known stamp 1 to stamp 4, when someone from outside of the EU and Switzerland is visiting Ireland for more than 90 days. Whether you plan on visiting friends, family, or even to work or study, you must apply for immigration status from the Irish authorities. From here, you’ll be given one of the following:


  • Stamp 0 – The most basic of stamps, Stamp 0 allows you to stay in Ireland for a certain amount of time. However, during this period, you’re not allowed to work or operate a business. You must be fully independent or sponsored by an Irish citizen who is independent. With this stamp, you’re not allowed to claim any benefits or receive publicly funded services which means you’ll need private medical insurance. Usually, you’ll receive Stamp 0 for 12 months.
  • Stamp 1 Ireland – This stamp allows you to work or operate a business in the country, as long as you meet certain requirements. This includes holding a valid employment permit or having a letter from Irish Immigration to say you don’t need one.
  • Stamp 1A – This stamp allows you to stay in Ireland and participate in paid, full-time accountancy training for a specified period. Under this stamp, you mustn’t engage in any other trade, profession or business – unless you have a letter from the immigration authorities. Your accountancy course should be completed within 4 years.
  • Stamp 1G – This stamp is for those that have completed their studies in Ireland and are permitted to work on a full-time basis for a certain period of time. Typically, 1G is granted for 6-12 months but this depends on the type of study completed.
  • Stamp 2 – If you’re granted Stamp 2, you have been recognised as being enrolled on a full-time course by the Department of Education and Skills. You are, however, restricted in what you can do for employment and when, and you’re not able to access benefits or publicly funded services. If your course isn’t recognised by the Department of Education and Skills, you’ll be granted Stamp 2A.
  • Stamp 3 Ireland – For those that have a dependent in Ireland, who is a lawful resident, Stamp 3 may be granted. Under this stamp, you’re allowed to remain in the country for as long as you are dependent on the other person. However, you’re not allowed to work or claim benefits.
  • Stamp 4 Ireland – With this permission, you’re allowed to stay in Ireland until a certain date and can enter employment. Permission is usually granted for 1 year, after that, it must be renewed on either a 1 or 3-year basis. Under this stamp, there are no restrictions and you’re free to work in any role and industry. It can also be used to apply for citizenship and you may access state funds and publicly funded services.
  • Stamp 5 Ireland – After residing lawfully in Ireland for at least 8 years, you may be granted Stamp 5 which means you’re allowed to stay permanently – without the condition of time. This is valid as long as your passport is valid.
  • Stamp 6 – Similar to the above, Stamp 6 allows you to stay in Ireland without time constraints and is typically used for Irish citizens who have dual citizenship.


How Can I Get a Stamp 4 Visa in Ireland?

Non-Irish nationals must have the correct legal permission in order to remain in Ireland. This is regulated by the Minister for Justice and Equality and the Garda National Immigration Bureau. Permission to remain is issued as a stamp on a residency card and passport and is also known as the Certificate of Registration.


Once you are permitted to stay in Ireland, you must register this decision with the immigration authorities. These appointments must be held within 90 days – after which, you’ll receive an Irish Residence Permit, which proves you can legally stay.


In order to receive Stamp 4, you should be either waiting for an employment permit, previously held an Irish work permit for 5 years, be joining a spouse or partner who is an Irish citizen, be a recognised refugee, or hold an Ireland Investor Visa to name a few.


Why Choose McGinley Solicitors LLP?

From Irish citizenship and work permits to Immigrant Investor Programmes and permission to remain stamps, McGinley Solicitors LLP are the best team to help you if you’re considering a move to Ireland. Not only do we specialise in immigration law but our friendly and experienced team will go above and beyond to ensure the process is seamless and stress-free.


We make it our mission to represent every single person, no matter their background or legal case, and we strive to meet and exceed expectations every step of the way. So, if you’re looking for some help with permission to remain in Ireland stamp 1 or stamp 4, why not take the first step and contact McGinley Solicitors LLP today?


Entry Stamp FAQs

How long can you leave Ireland for on a Stamp 4?

If you haven’t yet received an official Irish Residence Permit, you are only allowed to stay outside of the country for 90 days before another application is required.


What are the Irish Stamp 4 benefits?

Under Stamp 4, individuals can work in Ireland without an employment permit, they can establish and run a business and also have access to benefits and publicly funded services.


What is Stamp 4 EU Fam? 

This stamp is given to those individuals who are non-EU dependent family members of EU nationals. The EU national must work and live in Ireland legally, though.

Get Case Assessment